Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Dunedin to Christchurch

Within the last few days I made my way down to Dunedin, right into the middle of the south island to Lake Tekapo and back up to Christchurch. Mainly within the last 36hours and I haven't enjoyed myself more in the last weeks. All because I hired a car, being fed up with sitting on a coach and I should have done this from the beginning on, because I have seen so much more that way. Glad I am planning on bying one in Australia. I only got puzzled with the wrong-side-of-the-road-driving when I tried to get into the drivers seat from the right side of the car.

But first of all, I have to tell about Dunedin, where I spent the last weekend. Dunedin is a lovely little town located on the east coast with about a million churches and a real nice area around. The picture is taken at the worlds steepest street. (I wonder how they would proof this.) Anyways it has been lovely weather and I was making my way round the city for quiet a while so I had to check on it. Beside I met John, with whom I had a few nice talks, but as I was only there for a day... Not to mention all the Germans in the backpackers place. And again I have been in a wonderful museum, where I got closer to a polar bear, which I have tried a lot times before without success.

Monday morning my car was brought to the hostel and I could just through all my stuff into the trunk and head of. First place to go: Ontago Penisula to finally get to the beach for the first time. I wanted to see some sea lions but they couldn't make it in time. But I have been at Lanarchs Castle, the only one New Zealand has got and it's surrounded by wonderful gardens and the views are awesome. But this was just the beginning. I was on my way to see the most beautiful place I have been at so far.

Lake Tekapo, THE blue lake. The colour comes from a so called "rock flour", but I could not quiet point out what this means. Will check later. But the place is so peaceful and I was lucky enough to get the last bed in town for the night and so I could spent time at the waterfront and just try to glue that image to my mind forever. I will try to open an account with flickr.com, because you have to see all the pictures I have taken over the last few days. But this means quiet a lot of uploading, but I will let you know when it's done.

This morning at 7am I got into the car again and made my way back to Christchurch again, but I stopped a million times on the way and took two million pictures. I stopped at Mt. Cook, Akaroa, Lyttelton and just everywhere nice. I have to admit, the south island does have the more interesting landscapes and I might need to come back to see more of it. Tomorrow I am booked on a white water rafting trip and this will hopefully be a lot of fun. Thursday morning I will catch the train back to Wellington to spent another day in the only real city New Zealand has got.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment
susanna said...

ciao! hey wow,I am really proud of you, driving down there on the opposite side...i do not think i could be able to do that.
thanks for your detailed travel description, the pitcure with you and the bear is great...!Enjoy your great and incredible vacation.
but where will you leave then in sidney or melbourne?Take care and talk to you soon, ciao