Monday, December 11, 2006

Tongariro crossing - New Zealands best one-day-hike

I came down here to leave the winter and what do I get? Snow, storm and minus 5 degrees. I did it and crossed Mt. Tongariro today and all I can say is: I haven't been that cold for quiet a while. We just left about two hours too early at 7am this morning. By the time we had passed the top at 1886metres above sea level, the sun came out and the views have been lovely. But none of us could be asked to go back again.

I had two lovely guys doing the cross with me: Harry, 23 from the UK and Alan, 22 from Italy. We had a lot of fun although it has been really cold and stormy up there. But we did it...and really challenged ourselfs.
It started off real calm, just walking on tracks a bit upwards, but as soon as we have been 90minutes on the walk we did start climbing. That was the first out of three climbs and I really thought I can't get any further, but by time we did that I was doing alright again. We made the whole 17km in about 5 1/2 hours which was quick looking at the maps which said it is about 6 to 7 hours depending on fitness levels. So I suppose we are quiet fit.

Anyhow, it is late and I am tired and my legs are tired too. Will add the profil of the track within the next days. Leaving tomorrow to see the capital and will stay in Wellington for 2 days before getting on to the south island.
So I talk to you later on....thanks for being here with me.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment
susanna said...

WOW, you made it!!! And in bit more than 5 hours!!!Congratulation also for your fit to make it. I really believe that that show you see there was worth of the effort you have to make.You are having really great vacations! take care, :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Susanna, yes at the end I could say it was worth it, but meanwhile I really had to fight myself not just stop walking. I'll never do the Mt Everest, that is for sure.
When are you coming over?

susanna said...

Ciao! I will leave Italy to my beloved Hong Kong the 23rd and then i will arrive in Australia the 30 and will stay till 2 or 3rd.
between christmas and new year eve i will go to new caledonian island in the middle of nowhere..to rest...so no climbing, no effort, no work at all!! on the 31 i will be for sure down the bridge to see the fire works and enjoy the crazy atmosphere in down under.I am really looking forward to vacation cause i am reallly working too much (hope ther are not too much collegues on the blog...:-). About your climb to the Mt Everest...never say never!Hey will you also go to the center of Australia to see Uluru? If yes, please do not climb it cause the local people do not like it and consider uluru as a sacred place...and i relly agree with it cause it is worth to one trip to Australia. have you decide where you will stay? Melbourne or sidney?To me sidney is much better!ciao, talk to you soon!