Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Blue Mountains and Aussie Pride

Back in Sydney after 24 hours on the road, at the plane and at the airport. Arrived Friday morning at 6am and tried to get some sleep but couldn't. Probably because of the jetlag, two hours difference to Perth is a lot when it comes to adjusting. Anyways, ended up spending hours online and on the phone talking with my friends and family, watching a really boring movie (march of the penguins) and finally felt asleep sometimes. The worst thing is, I have catched up with the rain again. Its only about 25degrees cold and raining quiet often.

Saturday morning a friend picked me up and we headed towards the blue mountains, a really lovely area, just an hour drive from Sydney. Rob took me to all the tourist places and we had a fun trip until we got caught by the fog. Everybody who has seen the movie knows this isn't fun so we had to move on and get ourselves out of there.

But we survived and made it back to Sydney. Once again I started talking to my friends back home, really appreciating the fast wireless connection at Ian's Backpacker (smile). I am officially maid of honor at my best friends wedding now...isn't that great. And as if they would have know, the movie was screened last night. Now I don't know what to wear and if I have to change over the day.

Yesterday were the celebrations for todays 75th birthday of the Harbour Bridge and I walked across with app. 250.000 proud Sydneysiders. The bridge has been closed for traffic all day and everybody started at the north pillars. They had music of all seven centuries and original broadcasts playing and most all the crazy Aussies were wearing weird hats and taking a million pictures of everything. But is was a lot of fun being in between them all, sharing this experience, which only happens every 25 years.

It looks as if I'll be leaving south sometimes next week to see a few more beaches, although I am not sure if the weather will be nice enough to go for a surf...