Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Kununurra - Darwin - Geraldton

After we ended up spending 5 days in Kununurra doing nothing except from chilling out and relaxing we finally decided to go on just in case the wet season might arrive and flood the roads. So we travelled on to Katherine, the last stop before Darwin and ended up spending 5 days again, as the cabin was lovely and they even had a nicer pool. But it seemed as if the rain would come. We had two days with little storms and so we left for Darwin at the 27th.


It started to rain about half an hour after we left Katherine and this was it. It didn't really stop for the next days. We wanted to see Litchfield National Park, which we couldn't becauce of flooded floodways and so we ended up in Darwin a day early. It took us quiet a while to check into the least worse hostel. We had 3 full days together, Conny and Wilfried left for New Zealand Friday night and we tried to make the best of it. Really heavy rain and thunderstorms made Darwin leaving a bad impression, but we could imagine it being all nice and warm in the dry season. Ad the main highways have been closed due to crocodiles on the bridges we at least knew we made the right decision.

We have seen a bit of Darwin without rain, visited the most important museums and I had a few nice chats with residents about the weather and lovleyAfter I have sold the car (for a lot less, because I had to sell it to a car dealer as no backpackers were around looking for a car) I flew out on Sunday to Perth, to be back in Geraldton at Billy's Monday the 5th of March. Here I am now back in the heat and pretty happy about. We had 47 degrees two days ago, hottest day in March for the last 31 years around here, and are now back at around 30.

Since I am down here two cyclones have hit the area around Port Hedland and Broome with 270km/h top speed and we only got a bit of the wind, just to have an imagination. Finally it turns out, that we have all made the right decisions. The only disappointment is, that there is no way I can go back on the board as the swell is either not existing or far to big for me. So I might have to come back again.

I'll be leaving back to Sydney on Thursday and figure out where to go next from there. I am thinking of a beach holdiday in Bali at the moment as I am this close right now and it's everything but expensive. Plus I have to see the Uluru and the east coast as well until I start working with Weidmueller again. Only just for a short term contract to help them out :-)) (Cheers Ian)