Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Finally...

Sorry for the lack of English information. The Internet connection sucks most of the time and therefor I could not be asked to put two texts on whenever there was a moment.

Alright: where to begin with? I am working at the Wildlife Center now for 9 days and I am loving it. Its real hard work, especially cleaning the enclosures, but once this is done until noon we get to spent a lot of time with the animals, if we want to. There are no baby gorillas though, but I get to touch the others a lot, as soon as they "come home" for dinner. I do fancy one of the three silverbacks a lot. His name is Benito and it is the most amazing and beautiful thing to watch him peal a peanut, with hands that are actually as big as a wheel.

All volunteers start working in the kitchen for two days and then we get to get to know all different sections. I have been with Drills, Baboons, Mandrills, Gorillas and Guenons and am now on Chimps. So far I only liked working with the Gorillas a lot, but the chimps are about the come in second. The little Guenons though, the hate me and I hate them. They try to kill you whenever you turn your back on them and I got frightened a lot.

Every day starts with a morning meeting where we are told which section we are in for the day and than the cleaning comes first. You have no idea how many shit a single monkey produces at night. And there a lots of them. But you get used to it and they can´t really use the loo, can they? All of them get fet three times a day and in between the feedings we are free to do whatever we feel like. I spent most of my spare time with the Gorillas.

We work from 8am to 5pm and there is always a "Feierabend"drink between the two managers and the volunteers (4 of us right now). Tomorrow we will be celebrating with the keepers, that we catched an escaped chimp three days ago and got him back into his enclosure. Apparently they are really dangerous animals and have wounded a few of the keepers badly during earlier escapes. This is why volunteers have to lock themselves into the office, until the escapee is darted and fast asleep.

I enjoy everything a lot and am glad I finally did what I always wanted to do. I am loving it.